LAYYAH: At least five persons, including three real brothers died and 18 others were fainted in critical condition after swallowing poisonous sweets today.
The incident took place when a resident of Chak-105 TDA Umar Hayat brought sweets from a nearby sweet shop, located at chowk-111 on the birth of his grandson.
After eating sweets, five people including three brothers died on the spot while 18 others fell unconscious with serious condition. The deceased brothers were identified as 20-year-old Irfan, four-year-old Shahbaz and 22-year-old Ramzan.
Three of the 18 victims were said to be in critical condition and were recommended to Nishtar Hospital in Multan.
Meanwhile, two cousins Abdul Ghafoor and Muhammad Ameer also died after eating toxic sweets purchased from the same shop.
Police personnel have also launched an investigation into the matter.