DUBAI: The death toll from last month’s crush and stampede in Mina has risen to at least 1,633, according to tallies given by foreign officials, making it the deadliest incident in the pilgrimage’s history.
Saudi Arabia is yet to provide an updated death toll after saying that 769 pilgrims had died in the tragedy near Makkah during Haj. Saudi authorities have also not provided a breakdown by nationality.
Hundreds of pilgrims have also not been accounted for following the September 24 stampede at the Haj, one of the largest annual gatherings in the world.
Saudi officials previously have said their tally remains accurate, although an investigation into the causes of the tragedy is ongoing.
Health authorities in the kingdom previously said civil defence officials would be offering any new casualty figures, though no new toll has been released by authorities since September 26.
But many foreign governments have provided numbers on pilgrims killed from their countries and an AFP tally shows the death toll has overtaken the 1,426 pilgrims who died in the Haj’s worst previous incident — a tunnel stampede in July 1990.
Authorities have said the disaster in Mina happened as two waves of pilgrims converged on a narrow road, causing hundreds of people to suffocate or be trampled to death.
In previous years, the Haj has drawn more than 3 million pilgrims without any major incidents and Saudi Arabia has spent billions to prepare for the pilgrimage in recent years.
The crush and stampede was the second disaster to strike Saudi Arabia around the Haj this year.
On September 11, a construction crane crashed into Makkah’s Grand Mosque, killing at least 111 people.