Replaced, new Samsung Note 7 causes airplane evacuation after emitting smoke

A Baltimore-bound flight was forced to evacuate crew and passengers after a Samsung device began emitting smoke. The owner said the company had replaced his phone just 2 weeks prior following a recall.

A Southwest Airlines flight was evacuated on Wednesday, apparently after a Samsung device caught fire. Around 75 people, passengers and crew members, were forced to leave the Baltimore-bound plane in Louisville Kentucky after the overheated Samsung Galaxy Note 7 smartphone started emitting smoke.

No one was injured, airport authorities said.

According to the family who owned the phone, it was a replacement sent to them after a string of fires and property damage caused Samsung to issue a universal recall. Local media reported that Brian Green of Indiana noticed his phone making a popping noise and caught fire as he was shutting it down. He said Samsung had shipped it to him only two weeks prior.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>