National Assembly Speaker Ayaz Sadiq on Tuesday approved a 12-member parliamentary committee that will draft the terms of reference (ToRs) for the proposed Panama Leaks inquiry commission.
The committee will hold the first meeting on Wednesday.
The committee comprises six PML-N ministers and six opposition lawmakers:
- Finance Minister Senator Ishaq Dar
- Ports and Shipping Minister Senator Mir Hasil Khan Bizenjo
- Defence Minister MNA Khawaja Mohammad Asif
- IT Minister MNA Anusha Rehman
- Housing and Works Minister MNA Akram Khan Durrani
- Railways Minister MNA Saad Rafique
- Muttahida Qaumi Movement Senator Barrister Muhammad Ali Saif
- PPP Senator Aitzaz Ahsan
- Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf MNA Shah Mehmood Qureshi
- Jamaat-i-Islami MNA Sahibzada Tariqullah
- Awami National Party Senator Ilyas Ahmed Bilour
- PML-Q MNA Tariq Basheer Cheema
The speaker may replace any member of the committee on the request of the leader of the parliamentary party concerned, a notification issued by the NA Secretariat says.
The committee will consider options for inquiring into issues raised by the Panama Papers including offshore companies, transfer from Pakistan of funds originating from corruption, commission or kickbacks, and written-off bank loans.
It will also determine the priority level of each of the above. The formulation of ToRs and a timeline for submission will be decided by the committee, which must submit a report to Parliament within two weeks.