ISLAMABAD: Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) announced on Friday it was withdrawing its resignations from the national, and Sindh Assembly.
The party would now be back in both the assemblies and Senate from next week. The decision was announced by MQM leader Farooq Sattar in a joint press conference which was also addressed by Finance Minister Senator Ishaq Dar. A memorandum of understanding (MoU) was signed between the MQM and the government following a successful dialogue between the two sides. “The party will take back its resignations next week,” said Sattar while thanking the government for showing “political maturity” and resolving all issues in an amicable manner. He further stated that the government had taken the party’s resignations seriously from day one.
The MQM leader demanded an end to the restrictions placed on the party’s social and welfare activities and expressed hope that the committee being formed in this regard would address their grievances in a timely manner. “We wish for the complete elimination of crime from Karachi,” Sattar said. Meanwhile, Dar announced the formation of a complaint redressal committee. The federal minister stated that the committee will have to complete its work on complaints received within 90 days. The interior secretary will be its convener and it will consist of five members.
Dar stated that the names of the committee members will be announced after consultations with the MQM and a notification in this regard will be issued once consensus is reached on all issues. “We want the MQM to play its role parliament,” said Dar. Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam-Fazl chief Fazlur Rehman had played a role in negotiations with the MQM, Dar said. “MQM has a huge vote bank in Sindh and is a large political party of Pakistan,” stated the federal minister. In September, MQM had announced its decision to withdraw from talks with the government once again in an emergency press conference, accusing the government of not being serious about the dialogue process.
The party had simultaneously resigned from the National Assembly, Senate and the Sindh Assembly in August over what it said were excesses by security forces against its workers and members during the Rangers-led operation in Karachi. The government had been reluctant in accepting the MQM resignations and tasked Fazlur Rehman with holding talks with the party in an attempt to persuade it to withdraw the resignations.
But talks broke down abruptly almost immediately after they began when an assassination attempt was made in Karachi on MQM MNA Rashid Godil, whose driver was killed in the gun attack. The attack had happened as Fazl was holding talks with an MQM delegation at party headquarters, Nine Zero.
Neo Web Desk