The Pakistani Taliban faction Jamaat-ur-Ahrar on Friday claimed responsibility for a suicide attack at Mardan’s district courts in which at least 13 people were killed and 52 others injured.
Six lawyers and two policemen were among the dead. The attack is the second in the space of hours in the region. “First there was a small blast followed by a big blast,”chief rescue officer in Mardan Haris Habib said, adding that, “So far we recovered 12 bodies of the lawyers, police personnel and civilians. Besides this, we rescued 52 injured, including lawyers, police personnel and civilians from the spot.”
The attacker lobbed a hand grenade at the entrance of the court before exploding himself at the main gate of Mardan district courts, DPO Mardan told Neo TV.
Following the blast, security forces arrived at the spot and cordoned off the area. An investigation is underway and the injured have been shifted to Lady Reading Hospital and other hospitals in the locality.
According to a Rescue 112 official the number of injured is expected to rise. A state of emergency has been declared at local hospitals and security has been tightened in all adjoining areas.
Meanwhile, police officials confirmed that the suicide bomber had between seven and eight kilogrammes of explosives on his body.
Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan has strongly condemned the blasts and has expressed sympathy with the bereaved families.
Earlier today, at least four terrorists were killed in what appears to be a failed attack at Christian Colony near Warsak Dam on the outskirts of Peshawar.