Charles to make first official visit to Iran in 40 years

PRINCE CHARLES is set to make a historic visit to Iran — the first official royal trip there for more than four decades.

The Prince of Wales has expressed a keen interest in travelling to the country in the autumn. The Foreign and Commonwealth Office and Clarence House are in talks with Tehran about a tour, which would mark a major diplomatic coup.

A royal source told The Sunday Times: “The prince is very keen to visit Iran. He hopes he would be able to use his role as a diplomat to further encourage the relationship and dialogue between the two countries.”

While Charles had visited the Iranian city of Bam in 2004 — after a devastating earthquake there the previous year that had killed 40,000 people, according to some reports — officials said that particular trip had been made in his capacity as president of the British Red Cross.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>